Our scientific and programmatic team at Additional Ventures is focused on solving the biggest problems in biomedical research. We believe that strategic investment into areas where we can have an outsized impact and accelerate progress will be transformative. We focus our biomedical work on a rare congenital heart condition called single ventricle heart defects, a disease that affects both quality and duration of life and for which there is no cure. All our work is grounded in our guiding principles of urgency, impact focus, agility, and collaboration as we work towards our goal of a functional cure for single ventricle heart disease.
We are committed to developing the infrastructure and tools needed by our scientific and clinical community to ask and answer the most pressing questions.
Project Singular is a large-scale whole genome sequencing initiative, funded and led by Additional Ventures, to find the cause of these complex, life-threatening heart defects, while developing the tools and analytics infrastructure to support such discoveries in a democratized data environment.
Additional Ventures seeks a Senior Program Manager for a genomics research initiative called Project Singular to be an integral part of our small team. While this role will report to the Program Director of Project Singular, the Program Manager will also work collaboratively with all members of the Additional Ventures team. As our team is small, each member has a unique opportunity to have an outsized impact and to engage in the ideation, planning, implementation, and execution of new programs and directions.
In this role, the Senior Program Manager will have the opportunity to manage several arms of Project Singular, including the development of a genetics data usage pipeline, creation of grant and/or hackathon programs, and management of the Project Singular Scientific Advisory Board (SAB). S/he will conduct work related to data use, research goals, program operations, and may engage in in-house genetics research. Additionally, s/he will be responsible for day-to-day coordination with the genetic registry and sequencing vendor(s) and other external partners. For this role, we strongly prefer that this individual has a background with genomics and experience in developing grant programs experience, either directly or indirectly as a consultant.
- Supports Director in strategic planning, program design, growth of the genetics registry and its utilization for research, and data democratization efforts with other single ventricle registries.
- Supports the Director in the development, strategy, and management of Project Singular’s genetic programs, including grant programs, hackathons, and potentially, original research.
- Oversees the grant program and/or hackathon logistics, including coordinating and engaging with participants, optimizing the administration process, managing timeline and deliverables, monitoring budgets, and tracking and reviewing applications.
- Manages and monitors data usage through the Data Access Committee (DAC), optimizing processes and reviewing applications.
- Manages and monitors data pipelines, workflows, and other needs in the Terra.bio database housing the WGS repository.
- Monitors and ensures the completion of contract requirements for funded entities, such as recipients of grants, funds, or programmatic support.
- Leads communications activities in outreach, engagement, and communications with the scientific community to promote awareness and utilization of the Project Singular database.
- Oversees day-to-day operations of Project Singular research and grants including:
- Identifying and securing needed resources;
- Creating, implementing, monitoring, and updating project plans;
- Facilitating meetings with appropriate parties;
- Tracking tasks/deliverables to ensure timelines, milestones and/or goals are attained;
- Monitoring and reporting progress as appropriate; and
- Resolving or escalating issues in a timely manner.
- Participates in Additional Ventures’ biannual research symposium, and aid staff in its planning and execution.
- Facilitates communications and logistics for Project Singular’s Scientific Advisory Board (SAB), including scheduling and planning of meetings, ensuring member engagement and opportunities for input, and synthesizing key decisions from the SAB into actionable plan.
- Potential to generate original research, co-author scientific papers for presentation and publication.
Credentials and Key Skills
- Doctorate (PhD, MD, or equivalent) in biological sciences, cardiovascular sciences, or related field
- At least one year of experience with managing genetic studies, including data analysis and pipeline development
- Laboratory or clinical research with a record of grant support and publication
- Experience managing Request for Proposal processes, funding, and scientific review
- Self-motivated, highly organized, and able to work independently
- Goal-oriented, creative professional with proven record of strategic thinking and a strong desire to make a difference.
- Sensitivity and compassion for patients and their families and caregivers
- Strong communication skills
- An ability to interact and communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing, with scientists and non-scientists at all levels
- Travel up to 10%, some locally
- Ability to work remotely in Eastern Standard time zone (must be based in the United States)
- Familiarity with management and execution of hackathons
- Familiarity with Terra.bio
- Live in the greater Boston, MA area
Additional Ventures is an equal opportunity employer. We respect and seek to empower each individual and support the diverse cultures, perspectives, skills, and experiences within our workforce. Research shows that women and minority groups often only apply to open roles if they meet 100% of the listed criteria. Additional Ventures encourages everyone — including women, people of color, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and those in the LGBTQIA+ community — to apply for our open roles if they believe they are the right fit for our growing team.
About Additional Ventures
Additional Ventures is a nonprofit foundation that aims to accelerate research progress and improve clinical care for children born with single ventricle heart defects so that they have a normal duration and quality of life. Although one in one hundred children are born with a congenital heart defect, there are limited options for those with the most complex forms, including single ventricle. For these individuals, there is no cure. With rapid advances in areas like genomics, single-cell technologies, and tissue engineering, now is the time to coordinate concerted efforts to understand how to overcome this devastating, complex disease. For more information, visit www.additionalventures.org.